Terratek 18V Cordless Drill 18V/20V
Thanks for taking your time to read our review of the Terratek 18V Cordless Drill. This is a very popular choice for many UK online buyers. At the moment this is one of the best selling cordless drills on the UK market. It is also one of the most affordable cordless drill/drivers on the UK marketplace.
Typically a cordless drill/driver from the better known tool brands will cost on average around £55-60 for their basic model. This Terratek option costs under £40, and you also get some really useful accessories. Everything combined, it does represent very good value for money.
There are three main reasons why this model from the Terratek brand is so highly popular:
- Great value for money and affordable - a good drill, battery and charger and some useful accessories
- Good quality and gets high buyer satisfaction ratings (88%)
- Most of their models including this FUT18V01-2 model get consistently high buyer ratings
When you tick all of those three boxes, then the chances are that you are going to sell a lot of products. That has proved to be the case for the Terratek brand.
This particular cordless drill/driver is just a very useful tool to have, for a wide variety of jobs around the home.
It comes with a 13 piece drill and bit set. However it can also be bought with a 70 piece drill bit set, or with a 150 piece drill bit set. It is always good to have the choice.
The basic kit though is enough to be able to do about 90% of all the DIY jobs around the home and garden.
As we mentioned at the beginning this drill/driver has sold a lot. When we checked online for the buyer reviews, we found over 5,000 of them. Those have been left by buyers who have bought this product, used it, and then taken the time to leave a review.
Overall they have given this Terratek model an average buyer satisfaction rating of 88%. So you can tell from that rating, that this is a quality product, that buyers clearly like and don't mind spending their money on.
Terratek 18V Cordless Drill Driver Specification and What That Means
Just below we have included the main specification details. More importantly we explain what that means in case you are not sure of what each function can do. If you already know what the various specifications are, then just skip to the next section where we show what buyers said, and why they said it.
- Powered by an 18 volt battery - This model uses an 18V 800 mAh NI-MH Battery (18V is the standard battery size for most cordless drill brands) You may notice that the description also mentions 20V. That simply means that at a full charge, the battery moves up to 20 Volts, but then stabilises to 18 Volts once it starts to be used.
- 16 different torque settings - Torque settings are all about the amount of twist, or strength of twist that gets delivered to the chuck of the drill. You need to use different torques for drilling into different types of materials.
- Grip and balance - When drilling or driving it really helps a lot if the drill feels nice in your hand. Having a soft grip and a nice weighted balance makes it easier to do a lot of drilling without developing user arm fatigue.
- LED Work light - This comes on automatically during the drilling or driving process. It is really useful when working somewhere that the light is limited. Inside cupboards etc is a good example of that
- Pressure Trigger - This drill/driver has a pressure trigger and the reason that is important is that the speed of the drill is important especially when starting to drill or drive. You can quickly and easily control that by the pressure you put on the trigger. Great for preventing slipping and making sure you don't strip the head of screws
- Accessories - Contains 1 magnet holder, 6 drill bits, 2 Pozi-drive screwdriver attachments, 2 Phillips screwdriver attachments and 2 slotted screwdriver attachments.
- Guarantee - this Terratek 18V drill/driver comes with a 12 month guarantee
- Model Number FUT18V01-2
- Measures 28.8 x 26.6 x 11.2 cm
- Weighs 2.44 Kg
- Comes with one battery and a charger
- 10 mm keyless chuck
- No load speed 0-550 rpm
- Built in spirit level
- Can drill holes into wood to a max capacity of 20 mm and steel to a max capacity of 8 mm and the ability to drive screws from 1.5 mm - 6 mm.
What Buyers Said
With an average buyer satisfaction of 88% it is pretty clear that the majority of buyers had good things to say about this drill/driver. Below we have created a pros and cons table of what buyers really had to say.
- 68% of all online buyers gave this a full 5 star review
- 4% of all buyers gave this a poor review
- 68% of all buyers gave this drill/driver a full 5 star review
- The majority of buyers said this was great value for money
- A great choice for domestic use
- Takes about 1.5 hours to fully charge the battery and that is fast
- Comes with the basic screwdriver bits and a small socket adapter useful for allen keys, bolts and torx
- Works well for an inexpensive drill/driver
- 4% of all buyers gave this one a bad review
- A few buyers said this was under powered and the battery was not that great
- Some buyers said the charger wasn't great
Our Verdict on the Terratek 13 PC Cordless Drill/Driver
Buyers clearly like this Terratek model. We believe this one works well for domestic use. It is not a top of the range drill/driver with all the bells and whistles.
It is a basic drill at an affordable price and will be suitable for most jobs around the home and garden.
If you are looking for a good drill/driver and are on a tight budget, then this model is as good as anything else currently available on the UK market.
There are not a lot of bad reviews about this model and that is always a good thing to see. Those that did complain, dis so mainly about the charger and the battery. Ideally this could have been a Lithium-Ion battery and charger which is the best. However that would have really pushed the price up.
If this is not the one for you, then check out our top 5 list of Terratek Drill/Drivers by clicking here.
Alternatively check out our best cordless drills by clicking here, or our list of the best cordless drills under £50 by clicking here.
With this one you get the low price, but will have to live with this type of battery. As one buyer very accurately put it, this one is "cheap and cheerful." It does however do the job for most home owners in the UK.