This is our review of the Makita DHP482Z Cordless Drill. This is a high end drill with an RRP of around £183. However the good news is that you will find this cordless drill is reduced by many online stores.
At Amazon in the UK, this one is usually available for around £50, which is a fantastic saving. Please note this change can happy quickly, so always check the exact price, before making a final purchase.
This is a bare tool only, so usually does not come with a battery, which you will have to buy separately. You will also need to buy a charger. I have included those details later in this review.
How Do Buyers Rate the Makita DHP482Z Combo Drill?
One good way of finding out about a drill/driver kit is to look at the actual buyer reviews. These are based on a star rating, with 5 being the highest rated and 1 star being the lowest rating.
These are very useful as people have bought the product, used it and then taken the time to leave a review. Overall buyers rate this one as a 4.6 out of 5 star product, which is a very good rating.
I have summarised these below as percentages of reviews left by buyers.
72 out of every 100 buyers gave this the full 5 star rating. At the lower end however, when you add up the lower ratings, around 11% rate this only a 1 or 2 star. We will be having a look as to why that is the case.
We have completed a full review below. However if you are pushed for time you can click below for the best prices, any discounts and reviews over at Amazon
Who Would Buy this Makita Combo Drill?
This is a perfect all rounder and a good buy for the home. Some professionals also buy this drill/driver as it easily handles all the basic drilling and driving jobs really well indeed.
Makita tools are used by professionals and the self-employed working in the building and construction trades. For those of you who want a very good general purpose drill to use around the home, then this would also be a very good choice.
Important Features of the Makita DHP482Z
- You get the cordless drill (No battery or charger)
- You also get a bit holder which can be attached to the drill
- It has an electric brake
- Variable Speed
- 2 Gears (Full Metal Gear Construction)
- Keyless Chuck
- Twin LED job lights
- Weighs around 1.4 Kg
- Measures 20 x 8 x 23 cm
- Requires an 18 Volt Lithium-Ion battery for operation
- Drilling capacity in steel is 13 mm, in wood it is 38 mm and in masonry 13 mm
Main Review of the Makita DHP482Z Drill
Many companies will buy this drill for their employees. That is because this is a very good workhorse of a drill/driver. It doesn't have the full power of a high end corded hammer drill, but for a cordless option, it is truly impressive.
This is a great all round drill to own, and also at an affordable price for most people.
Key Features Worth A Mention
If you already own a Makita cordless tool, and have an 18 Volt battery, then you should certainly consider this one. As you don't have to buy the battery and charger again, the drill on its own is at a good price.
Compact and Tough
Like any Makita product, this one is very well engineered. The all metal gears, along with the variable speed and the electric brake, make this a very good combi drill.
What Buyers Liked About the Makita DHP482Z
- Quite a few buyers used this one for work and also at home as it was so good
- It is a great general purpose drill
- As it has a hammer action it can get through concrete easily
- Really useful as it not only has a hammer action, but can also be used for normal drilling and for driving in screws
- Having the adjustable torque settings is really useful
- The light is great to brighten up the work space
- Buyers thought it was well made and built to last
What Buyers Did Not Like About the DHP482Z
With a high rating, there were not a lot of buyer complaints. There were however around 6% who did give this a one star review. It is we think important to summarise what these were about.
- A couple of the buyers said the drill burned out after a few months
- One though the chuck slipped when under a heavy load and one other buyer thought it was not powerful enough.
Pros & Cons Summary
- At around the £65 price point it is good value for money (the RRP is high)
- A very good general purpose drill from a very good brand
- The all metal gear construction and housing means this one has been designed to last
- Has more than enough features for general purpose use
Our Conclusion & Recommendation
This is a good quality drill and forms part of the entire Makita range. If you own a battery from Makita, then definitely consider this one as an option. At around the £65 price point, we think it is really good value for money.
Personally if you also have to buy the battery and a charger, it makes this an expensive option. The battery for this one costs around £35 and a charge is around the same. Suddenly the purchase can get quite steep in price. Remember it is the 18 volt Lithium-Ion battery that you will need.